Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Padio Hybrid

I am new to growing tomatoes as this past season was my first so when I visited our local nursery I was unsure of what to look for. After inspecting various packets of tomato seeds I ended up choosing a Patio hybrid based on the brief paragraph on its back. As it turned out my choice was a great one and while as I mentioned I don't have the experience with tomatoes to compare this hybrid to past ones I can say with some confidence that this is one of the best! Throughout the summer it managed to stayed very compact, never growing more that a foot and a half tall and instead of growing viney and leggy like other tomatoes plants I have seen, it simple grew bushier. Yet dispite of its small size it was surprisingly productive, giving off 14 tomatoes between our two plants and due to its compact nature it didn't need to be staked or caged. Because of this positive experience I this past year with the Padio hybrid I'm definitely going to use it again in this upcoming year's garden. I have collected around 20 seeds from its tomatoes and plan on planting them so that with each passing year the plants become more and more productive. I am unsure if this technique will actually work with tomatoes though and if the seeds I have collected are going to grow true and produce plants like the ones I had last year. If you know anything about this I would love to get some feedback from you to help me answer this question. In any case I'm certainly going to try it out and I'll be sure update this in a few months with the results!



No comments:

Post a Comment