Monday, January 25, 2010

Seed storage

We have had a container (two actually) full of seeds that has been lurking in the back of our fridge for years. This is where we store our seed packets and there must be dozens of them, many dating as far back as 21 years old. In an attempt to try and make room for new seed packets in the already bursting Tupperware container we went through the seeds picking out the more recent seeds, making a pile of the old ones to get rid of. But in the end I could not bear to get rid of any seeds and ended up saving them, forming the second container of seeds. In an attempt to keep the older seeds moving along their way though, I decided to try out an indoors winter garden (I will write more about this soon). As it turns out, not throwing out the seeds was a great move for as I soon found, the seeds were incredibly viable despite their age. I regret that I did not record the amount of seeds that I planted (I plan on doing so in the future through!) but a vast majority of them sprouted without any lack in vigor noticeable to me. Intrigued I looked up the estimated date at which these seeds were supposed to have lost enough of their vigor to be deemed useless and the results were amazing. We had great success with these 21 year old Burpee seeds that according to multiple resources should have expired many years ago. Here is a list of the successful of 21 year old seeds I have tried:
  • Basil
  • Parsley
  • Lavender
  • Radish
  • Peas
  • Swiss chard
This says a bunch of things: that by storing your seeds in your fridge will greatly improve their viability, that the estimated dates that mark the limit of the seeds shelf life are under exaggerated and that Burpee sells high quality, long lasting seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment